Quarks and gluons and partons, oh my …

The proton consists of a complex mixture of quarks and gluons. Physicists use the word parton to describe all constituents of a proton.

Quarks and gluons are more generically called “partons.”

http://news.fnal.gov/2012/05/quarks-and-gluons-and-partons-oh-my/, by Don Lincoln.

Two for the price of one

It is possible to create both a J/ψ (“Jay Sigh”) and an Υ (“OOPS-i-lon”) simultaneously. What we learn from these events has a lot to do with the way quarks are stuck together inside the proton.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive/archive_2015/today15-11-12.html, by Leo Bellantoni.

When barns collide

Don Lincoln and Leo Belantoni

What is a barn, anyway? It is a unit of cross section that particle physicists use. This is important when trying to measure double-parton scattering.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive/archive_2015/today15-09-10.html, by Leo Belantoni.

Seeing double in proton-antiproton collisions

DZero makes an accurate measurement of how often two pairs of partons collide at the same time.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive/archive_2014/today14-02-06.html, by Mark Williams.